Homemade Pop Tarts
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, chilled
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons ice water
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk
1. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until the size of small peas.
2. Mix together 1 tablespoon of ice water and vanilla, sprinkle over flour mixture and mix in with fork or fingers. Gradually add more ice water until mixture holds its form.
3. Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc. Chill 30 minutes.
4. Roll out dough between sheets of parchment or wax paper into a rectangle, about 1/4” thick. Cut into 8 rectangles. Brush entire bottom rectangles with beaten egg then spread 1 tablespoon filling over each, leaving 1/2” bare edge.
5. Cover with top piece of pastry and seal with fork. Prick tops with fork and place pop tarts onto parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until oven is preheated to 350°F.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the bottom and golden on top. Let cool completely on wire rack.
7. In a small bowl mix together icing sugar and milk. Spread icing over each pop tart then top with sprinkles. Let icing set, serve & enjoy!
Makes 4 pop tarts. For more pictures click here!Posted 2 years ago with 42 notes